Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 17, 2010

Time is absolutely flying by and we can't believe we have been here almost six months. On February 22 President Uchtdorf dedicated West Germany for the building up of the church. Everyone was so excited and the leaders have been telling us that we are on the verge of a great breakthrough. The next Sunday, the 28th, a hurricane-strength wind blew all day long and was so intense that it blew a tree completely over outside of our building. I'm still wondering if the two incidents are related because I don't believe in coincidences any more. Could the Lord somehow be sweeping the land in preparation for the gospel? President Monson in 1975 dedicated East Germany and within a few short years the wall came down and a temple was dedicated. Absolute miracle. The temple was announced before the wall came down.

Somehow the word got out that Elder Ence was a cheerleader in high school and all of the young adults thought that was hilarious and they tease him constantly and ask for cheers. He showed them what he learned on his mission – how to ride a bike backwards and they were pretty impressed. So, somehow the word got out that Sister Ence cuts hair and Elders are knocking at the door looking for free cuts.

The European Center is right next to us so lots of things are happening. The doctors are here so all missionaries with health problems come for treatment and usually stay awhile with our Elders. So, on April 1, we got an Elder from the Ukraine and I couldn’t even read his nametag. They teamed him up with two other Elders and the three got on the Bahn (train) and started doing what they always do – talking to anybody and everybody. The two got off, thinking that the Elder from the Ukraine was right behind. He wasn’t. Alone on the train, no bahn pass, no German language, no phone or numbers. The two Elders responsible contacted the Mission President who thought it was an April Fool’s joke and wasn’t very happy. The “traveling Elder” met a woman who could help him make a phone call to his sister in the USA who called President Ninnow, who organized search and rescue and who now was finally convinced that this was not a joke. The good thing was they got good contact information from the good Samaritan who helped. Kind of reminded me of the Kingston Trio and, The Man Who Never Returned”. Last month an Elder from Bulgaria arrived for rabies treatment. He was cornered and bitten by three gypsy dogs while on a p-day hike. He had left his companion to retrieve his camera at the top of the mountain near the gypsy camp and was surrounded by the dogs who followed him and kept nipping at his heels. Don’t think he’ll ever break that rule again.

Anybody can send us mail with one US stamp. Send it to: Elder or Sister Ence, Frankfurt Germany Pouch, 50 E. North Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah 84150. I would especially love pictures from Grandchildren or Worcester Primary. Or any letters from anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment